Tornado season is upon us! Let's talk about a few things to do to ready yourself and your family in the case that one hits.
1. Gather a bag with 1-2 days worth of clothes for each family member. As well as an extra power supply for your cell phones, and few (small) toys if you have little ones who will need to be entertained.
2. Put together a bin of non perishable foods and at least 2 water bottles per family member + animals. (Typically a case is a good option to go with or 4-5 gallons of water).
3. Gather toilet paper and baby wipes + diapers if they're used in your house to last 3-5 days. Putting these in the bin with the food helps keep them in one place as well as keep them dry if you were to start taking on water!
(A bin with a lid works great and provides an extra seat for someone!)
4. Round up animal leashes and keep them somewhere easy to access.
5. Put all of these things in one spot (preferably in the closet or tornado safe room) so that you know exactly where they are when you are taking cover.
6. Invest in a weather radio or local antenna for the TV. If you do lose power though, a radio is much more helpful.
7. Make a plan with your family and assign tasks. Decide on how you want to get to safety and discuss with your kids what you feel comfortable with them bringing when you take cover. Go over what will happen and exactly what you expect of them.
8. Always, always have a pair of shoes for everyone ready to throw on!
Your safety matters above all else in a bad weather situation, but after the wind dies down and the storm stops, make sure to contact us for any exterior damage needs. We're here to help and will get you back in working order again as quickly as we can!